‘The right solution is always your best insurance’.

Home and Contents Claims

Most policies allow you to authorise temporary emergency repairs to protect your home or contents from further loss or damage. For example, temporary shuttering after breakage of glass to prevent access to your premises.

Tips for swift Claim processing:

Burglary or Theft Claims

You should notify the police immediately you become aware of any theft or malicious damage that has occurred.  You should then report the details to us and take all necessary actions to minimise your loss and to secure the premises.  Please ensure that any evidence, which is required by the insurance companies investigators or the police, is preserved.  It is important that you ensure that the inventory of stolen property and physical damage details including the appropriate costs are identical on both the police reports and the Claim Form.

Other Property Damage Claims (Fire, Storm, Plate Glass, etc.)

You should take the same appropriate steps in ensuring the security of the premises and minimising or reducing the loss and/or damage.

Should the repairs carried out to secure the premises be of a temporary nature then prior to having the final repairs completed you should contact us. However, this is not usually necessary for glass breakage/s, as full repairs are usually carried out when the damage is discovered.

Once again, you should ensure that any evidence be retained for inspection by the insurance company’s investigator or the police.

Please note, when damage is of a minor nature, the cost of repairs may be less than the policy excess. If this is the case no claim would be payable for the damage and repairs.

If a claim form is required, please complete it and return to us. Fax or e-mail a scanned copy of the completed form and any supporting documents to (08) 6314 4664 or claims@mispl.com.au

To lodge a claim please call us on 0410 527 444 or 08 9228 3332