Professional Indemnity / Medical Malpractice Claims
It is important that any incidents that could give rise to a potential claim, whether financial loss, third party property damage or bodily injury are reported to us immediately that you become aware of the potential claim.
As these policies are written on what is known as a “Claims Made Basis”, they generally only respond to claims notified to the insurer during the period of insurance in which the claim occurred. Failure to promptly notify your insurer could prejudice your right to cover under a policy.
We recommend that you keep your own documented records of any potential claims for any future referral.
The following steps should be observed:
- Under no circumstances should you and/or any person acting on your behalf make any admission of liability, offer or promise of payment.
- If a third party indicates that a claim is to be made upon you, the third party’s claim should be made in writing to you.
- Observe and note details of the third party property damage and/or injury.
- Note names and addresses of any independent witnesses to the occurrence.
- To enable your insurer to assess a claim by a third party, the claim must be supported by;
- For Financial Loss – a explanation of the reasons they hold you responsible and substantiation of the loss;
- For Property Damage – proof that you caused the damage and written repair and/or replacement quotations;
- For Bodily Injury – an explanation of the reasons they hold you responsible and medical reports and other supporting documentation.
A completed claim form and all written documentation from the Third Party should be forwarded to us without delay. Any long-term delay could prejudice your entitlement to claim under your policy.
It is important to remember that your insurer is extremely unlikely to consider any claim lodged against you unless that claim has been made in writing and substantiated by repair or replacement quotations, medical reports and the like.
To lodge a claim please call us on 0410 527 444 or 08 9228 3332